There are a lot of things we have to do to prepare every year for the cold winter weather. In addition to bundling up and making sure the heat in your home works, there is one thing you cannot forget to do before that first snowstorm hits: installing new winter tires on your vehicle.
In many places around the country, the roads can become dangerous and treacherous once the cold weather sets in. In fact, one out of five car accidents is caused by weather-related issues, including sleet, snow, or ice.
One of the best ways to keep yourself and other people on the road safe during this season is by investing in new winter tires for your vehicle.
Why Do You Need Winter Tires?
Now, you may be thinking: I already have great “all-season” tires on my car…do I really need to put on winter tires?
There are several key differences between winter tires and all-terrain or all-season tires – and you cannot necessarily use the same tires year-round. While all-season tires are great for driving during more temperate conditions, they do not provide adequate handling capabilities in rough winter weather.
Most all-season tires are not rated for extreme winter weather driving. This means that if you get caught on excessively snowy or icy roads, you could lose much-needed traction. Further, the rubber compounds on most all-season tires can become hard and brittle in sub-zero temperatures, compromising grip.
Most all-terrain tires are rated for winter driving, but they are not always designed for optimized handling or grip on snow or icy roads.
Winter tires are specifically designed to handle snow, ice, sleet, slush, and extremely cold temperatures. These types of tires have unique tread patterns to expel water, prevent hydroplaning, and maintain traction. The rubber compounds these tires are made from is also designed to remain soft in cold temperatures, allowing the tire to grip the road better.
Great winter tires don’t just help vehicles move safer in the snow – they are also responsible for helping them stop. Vehicles equipped with winter tires have a 35% shorter stopping distance on snowy and icy roads than all-season tires and a roughly 50% shorter distance than summer tires!
Now, if you are still pondering whether or not you really need to buy winter tires, consider these factors:
• Do you live in a climate that periodically drops below 45°F?
• Do you drive on the highways during the winter? All-season tires might cut it for driving at slower speeds, but you will want specialized winter tires on your vehicle for driving (and braking) at faster speeds in wintry conditions.
• Are you the only person operating your vehicle during the winter? A study from Consumer Reports found that 75% of drivers are nervous about driving in winter weather, but their confidence increases if they have snow or winter tires. If your kids, spouse, or other people will be driving a vehicle, it is a good idea to put on the safest type of tire available.
Having new winter tires will provide you with peace of mind and make driving in the winter significantly safer.
So, the question is: which winter tires are the best ones to buy?
New Winter Tires of 2021/2022
Here are some of 2021 and 2022’s best winter tires we offer at Giga-Tires that provide superior safety at an affordable price point.
The latest Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 studded winter tire model delivers some of the most advanced safety features available. It uses Double Stud Technology, with two rows for studs to provide maximum support and grip while turning.
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tire model is the ideal choice if safety and handling are a top concern. This model also offers:
• Next-generation directional tread pattern.
• Self-locking 3D sipes.
• Deep snow grooves on the shoulders.
• Eco-friendly tire compound with a wide temperature range.
• Low fuel consumption.
This highly-rated winter tire starts at $118 per tire.
If you’re looking for a studless winter tire option that still provides a safe, comfortable ride, consider the Toyo Observe GSi-6. This new 2021 winter tire model is made from high-grip silica compound that stays soft to grip cold, icy roads.
The Toyo Observe winter tire is Mountain Snowflake rated, meaning it is safe for severe snow conditions. This tire has a lot of unique features to offer, including:
• Absorbent carbonic powder to provide better grip and contact to the road surface.
• Microbit technology to improve traction.
• Advanced sipes for better braking performance.
• Serrated stability rib and tread pattern.
You can find the Toyo Observe GS1-6 in a range of sizes, starting at $70 each from Giga-Tires.
Bridgestone is one of the best quality tire brands on the road, and the Bridgestone Blizzak Ws90 model is one of their most highly-rated new winter tires. The WS90 offers exceptional performance on slick, icy roads to improve handling all winter long.
This highly-rated winter tire features:
• Long-lasting tread life design.
• T Speed Rating.
• Extra biting edges for better grip.
• Made with NanoPro-Tech Multicell hydrophilic compounds for better grip and traction.
• Deep grooves to expel water, snow, and slush.
These Bridgestone winter tires are available from Giga-Tires and start at $97 each.
The Continental Viking Contact 7 SSR is actually a two-for-one: this winter tire has Runflat tire technology, meaning it will not deflate when punctured. This helps to elevate your safety on treacherous winter roads so you can drive with confidence.
The Continental Viking Contact 7 SSR features:
• V-shaped tread pattern with diamond block centers for superior water expulsion on wet, slushy roads.
• Horizontal sipes in tread blocks to improve grip.
• Meets the safety requirements to earn M+S (mud and snow) rating.
• Approved for severe snowy condition driving.
• Soft compound for better grip on cold roads.
You can purchase this continental winter tire through Giga starting at $167 each.
The Michelin X-Ice Snow tire is designed for superior winter driving performance and is built with leading technology. This tire is available in a studless style for passenger, SUV, and CUV vehicles, and has a three-peak mountain snowflake symbol – meaning that it meets safety requirements for extreme winter weather driving.
The Michelin X-Ice Snow tire features:
• V-shaped tread pattern to increase surface contact with the road.
• EverGrip technology to extend tread pattern life and improve grip in cold conditions.
• Interlocking 3-D sipes for a biting edge that improves traction.
• H Speed rating.
You can place an order for the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires starting at $112 per tire.
One of the top-rated winter tires on the market is the Discoverer Snow Claw Winter Tire from Cooper. This innovative model was tested in four countries and received the three-peak mountain snowflake rating for extreme driving conditions.
The Cooper Discoverer Snow Claw Winter Tire comes at a higher price point, but its superior design and high ratings make it one of the best new winter tires available.
This model features:
• Optional stud placement to provide additional grip on icy roads.
• Rigid central rib for improved stability and handling.
• Snow Groove technology design to trap snow within the tire grooves for better handling and braking.
• Siping traps to enhance performance and traction.
You can place an order for these Cooper Discoverer winter tires through Giga-Tires, with prices starting at $145 per tire.
If you prefer a heavy-duty tire that can handle off-roading even in the winter, then these Toyo Open Country winter tires are the best options. This tire model is designed for both winter driving as well as all-terrain, so you can safely take your vehicle through snowy or icy trails off the beaten path.
The Toyo Open Country A/T III features:
• 3-D multi-wave sipes to promote even wear and improve traction.
• Chip resistant tread compound.
• Staggered shoulder lugs for off-road handling grip.
• Stone-ejecting blocks to improve traction.
• Evenly distributed void area for improved handling and stability.
You can purchase the Toyo Open Country A/T III tires today starting at $139 apiece.
With its new all weather, touring design the Toyo Celsius is built to provide top traction and handling in all seasons while providing a nice smooth, quiet ride. The tire compounds are built to perform in all seasons and also wear well in all of those seasons. Proof of the ability to last in all seasons is Toyo’s 60k mileage warranty for the Toyo recommends this tire for drivers who do not want to change to winter tires, but drive on one tire all year. The Celsius averages 31 feet shorter stopping distances than the average all season tire.
The Toyo Celsius model features:
• Variable sipe density on the inside and outside of the tire optimized for wet or snow driving.
• Snow claws for enhanced deep snow traction.
• Slush Grooves for fast evacuation of water and slush.
• Multi-Wave sipes minimize irregular wear, promote smooth ride, and improve braking in all road conditions.
There is even a Toyo Celsius Cargo version for work trucks and vans with all the features above, except the 60K warranty, and with extra durability for the heavy loads and use.
You can purchase these Toyo winter tires for as low as $83.26 per tire through Giga Tires.
When it comes to winter driving in the 2021-2022 season and beyond, safety needs to be a top concern. Icy and snowy roads can be extremely dangerous. But if you have new winter tires on your vehicle, you can drive with confidence.
If you have any further questions about winter tire options or need help determining the size and model to buy, reach out to our team at Giga-Tires. Our knowledgeable staff will help you find the exact winter tires for your vehicle.