In most cases, people associate higher costs with higher quality. While this may be true for things like clothing, appliances, and vehicles, it is not always the case when it comes to purchasing tires. In fact, there are many low-cost tires that perform on the same level – and sometimes higher levels – than the models from big name brands.
You can find great passenger car tires to fit any budget – and you can certainly get good quality tires for cheap. Passenger car tires are a versatile model designed to provide a safe, comfortable ride for numerous types of driving habits and weather conditions.
Passenger tires are available in varying sizes to fit hatchbacks, sedans, coupes, and crossovers. In order to get the best value when shopping inexpensive tire brands – you need to know what exactly defines a “top quality” tire and everything that factors in.
Without further ado, let’s dive in.
Types of Passenger Tires
In this post, we want to address four main categories of passenger tires designed for specific driving conditions and experiences. These include all-season tires, high-performance tires, touring tires, and winter tires.
All Season Tires
All season tires are a great option as they are an all-in-one type model for normal driving around town or on highways. Many are even rated for safe driving through mud and snow.
But, if you are looking for the best value in all-season tires, you need to take your driving habits and environment into account. While the name “all-season” implies that the tires can be used year-round, these tires work best in climates that generally stay above 45° F.
- Long-lasting tread wear
- Smooth, comfortable ride on highways and paved roads
- Long warranties
- Not suited for extreme weather conditions
High-performance passenger tires are typically seen on sports cars or vehicles where the driving experience is a key factor.
These tires are stiffer to provide better handling at high speeds. Defined by a larger contact patch area, these tires are built to provide superior grip on dry and wet paved roads. Often used with bigger rims, high-performance tires come with relatively low aspect ratios.
Ultra high-performance passenger tires take things up a few notches from high-performance tires. They are designed to have even better braking and stability, faster acceleration, better cornering, and improved braking over a high-performance tire.
You’ll see ultra high-performance tires on luxury cars with lots of horsepower – like Camaros and BMWs. While you can put these tires on a normal car – like a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord – you won’t get the same ultra high-performance attributes without the horsepower.
- Rated for high-speed driving
- Great handling, especially for braking and cornering
- Good fuel efficiency
- Superior grip
- Heightened stability at high speeds
- Louder, bouncier ride due to stiff rubber
- Not safe for driving in hazardous weather conditions
- Tread wears down faster than non –UHP tires
- More expensive than other tire models
Touring passenger tires are designed for the most comfortable and quiet driving experience – making them a popular choice for sedans and family vehicles. Touring tires are commonly rated for higher speeds than other types of tires, making them a perfect balance of practicality and performance.
These tires are made to provide excelling traction and highly responsive handling. Touring tires are suited for all-season driving, and some tire brands are offering high-performance touring tire models as well. This allows you to get the best of both worlds in a passenger tire that meets all of your needs.
- High fuel efficiency rating and low rolling resistance
- Rated for safe driving on wet and dry road conditions
- Longer mileage warranty
- Unique rubber compound to reduce noise for quiet rides
- Not always rated for extreme winter weather driving conditions
As the name implies, winter tires are made for driving during the colder months of the year. They are designed for superior grip on snowy, icy, or slushy roads so vehicles can push through extreme weather conditions.
They are characterized by a flexible tread rubber that stays soft as temperatures drop. This creates a better grip on slick roads as the biting edges improve traction to keep drivers safe. If you live in a climate where the temperature commonly drops below 45° F and experiences snow, winter tires will give you a huge advantage.
- Improved grip on cold or icy roads
- Wide grooves to disperse water, snow, ice, and slush to prevent slipping or hydroplaning
- Improved braking on slippery surfaces
- Studded versions can damage the roads and interfere with handling capabilities
- Soft rubber wears down quicker
- Must be switched out once winter season is done
Best Low-Cost Passenger Tires
Inexpensive tire brands can still be high-quality – and there are plenty of robust passenger car tires to fit any budget.
Here are just a few of ours (and our customers’) favorites.
Federal SS 657 is a budget-friendly all-season passenger tire made for everything from sports cars to sedans. The grooves on this model are designed to be deeper and wider for excellent water dispersion and improved protection against hydroplaning.
This tire features:
- Deep grooves for water dispersion and safe driving on slick roads.
- Harder tread for long mileage.
- Designed for a quiet, comfortable ride.
- Speed rating: H, T
- Load index: 73 – 100
The Federal SS-657 starts at $30.43 per tire.
If you are looking for cheap all-season tires that are still top quality, consider the Achilles 122. This passenger tire model is designed for comfortable, quiet rides all year long. Built with multiple sipes and plenty of grooves, this tire offers excellent grip on dry and wet roads while delivering exceptional handling and a stable ride.
This model offers the following features:
- Multi-sipe design and wide grooves for superior grip on wet roads.
- Stiff blocks for ultimate handling and stability.
- Reinforced belts and stiff tread area for stability and a long-lasting tread.
- Speed rating: H,T,V
- Load index: 73 – 100
The Achilles 122 is available starting at $24.63 per tire.
The Laufenn G FIT AS passenger tire is one of the best budget all season tires available with exceptional quality at a low price point. The connected shoulder tread blocks on this tire help to increase stability and provide exceptional handling. This all-season model is rated for driving on wet, slick roads, thanks to the wide grooves which dispel water for improved grip.
This tire model features:
- High fuel efficiency
- Low rolling resistance
- 4 wide straight grooves to prevent hydroplaning
- Connected shoulder tread blocks
- Speed index: H,T,V
- Load index: 82 – 109
The Lauffen G FIT AS is available from Giga Tires starting at $25.55 per tire.
The Doral SDL-A is one of the best value all season tires available on the market – which still comes in at a very budget-friendly price. You can expect long-lasting tread from this model, thanks to the hard wear-resistant rubber compound. The model features a unique tread pattern to help with grip, stability, and overall performance.
The features of this tire include:
- Hard rubber compound for improved grip.
- Wide center groove pattern for traction on wet, slick roads.
- Superior handling and comfortable rides on highways and city roads.
- Speed index: H, V, S, T
- Load index: 82 – 96
The Doral SDL-A starts at $29.32 per tire.
The Achilles ATR-K Economist is one of the best budget performance tires that provides an exceptionally quiet ride at a reasonable price. This tire model is designed for safe driving in heavy rain or on hot, dry summer roads. This tire’s shoulder has deep grooves, multiple edges, and additional sipes, which help to provide exceptional handling and improved grip.
This tire features:
- Twin offset center ribs for smooth handling.
- Deep grooves, multiple edges, and additional sipes.
- Low rolling resistance for higher fuel economy.
- Speed rating: V, W, H
- Load index: 74 – 88
The starting price for the Achilles ATR-K Economist is $28.33 per tire.
The Achilles ATR Sport 2 is another superior budget-friendly choice for high performance passenger tires. This model is made from the latest technology for the ultimate driving experience on a multitude of road conditions. It’s solid center rib and interlocking blocks help to enhance stability and handling on even the windiest of roads.
The features for this performance tire include:
- Solid center ribs for stability and handling.
- Interlocking blocks for a tighter road trip during tight cornering.
- Chevron directional tread pattern designed for water dispersion on wet roads.
- Superior handling and control even at high speeds.
- Speed rating: W, V
- Load index: 85 – 102
The Achilles ATR Sport 2 starts at $43.26 per tire.
The Zenna Sport Line is an economy high performance tire that is made for all types of driving conditions, including snow, mud, rain, and dry roads. Zenna is well-known for offering top-quality tires at reasonable prices, so you can rest assured that you are getting a bang for your buck with these passenger tires.
The Zenna Sport Line features:
- M+S rating
- Precise handling
- Tight cornering
- Excellent handling
- Speed rating: H, T, W, V
- Load index: 82 – 96
You can purchase the Zenna Sport Line for as low as $31.48 per tire.
The Federal SS-595 is a great pick for daily driving, but it can also withstand more intense conditions and is even suitable for drift racing, too. This tire uses a unique tread pattern which helps to provide stability, superior handling, and an overall safe – yet comfortable and exciting driving experience, no matter where the road takes you.
This high-performance tire features:
- Superior grip on tight turns at high speeds
- Exceptional traction
- Durable and wear resistant
- Speed rating: W, V, H, Y
- Load index: 78 – 109
The Federal SS-595 has a starting price of $36.40 per tire.
The Kenda Kenetica KR17 is designed for a comfortable ride year-round. This passenger tire model provides optimal grip on the road with a long-lasting compound. This creates a quiet, comfortable ride with superior handling and stability. Kenda is known for offering top-quality tires at low prices.
This budget tire features:
- Long-lasting tread compound for added durability
- High modulus low shrinkage carcass
- Variable pitch tread for a quiet ride
- Speed rating: H, T, S
- Load index: 82 – 106
The cost of the Kenda Kenetica KR17 starts at $25.91 per tire.
The Nexen NPriz AH5 touring tire is designed for all-season driving and suitable for snow, ice, rain, as well as hot, dry conditions. The longitudinal grooves provide excellent water dispersion for safe driving through heavy rain and reduces the risk of hydroplaning.
This versatile touring passenger tire features:
- Rigid shoulder blocks for better handling and cornering.
- Dual sipe designs for biting edges on snow and ice.
- Speed rating: T, H, S, V
- Load index: 82 – 109
The Nexen NPriz AH5 tire is available from Giga Tires starting at $32.23 per tire.
The Mastercraft SRT Touring is an all-season touring passenger tire that is low-cost but offers exceptional quality and long wear. Mastercraft uses only the most modern technology in their designs for an improved driving experience. The Mastercraft SRT Touring has newly developed tread pitch sequence to reduce noise and the 5 rib tread pattern delivers confident traction in all seasons.
This tire features:
- Stability Control Siping for superior traction in wet and snow covered roads
- 5 Rib tread pattern for enhanced stability in all seasons
- Unique tread block pitch sequence for noise reduction
Snow and Winter Tires
If you are wanting a budget passenger tire that can be used in winter weather, consider the Nexen Winguard Ice Plus. These are one of the best cheap tires designed for safe driving in treacherous winter conditions. This model is qualified for severe snow service and features unique block patterns to reduce slipping on icy roads for a safe ride all winter long.
The Nexen Winguard Ice Plus passenger tire features:
- Double V tread pattern for enhanced grip and better braking on ice or snow
- Stiff shoulders and 3D block tread for even wear and long-lasting durability
- Speed rating: None listed
- Load index: 82/99
The Nexen Winguard Ice Plus starts at $36.71 per tire.
The Hankook Winter I*cept IZ is a high performance winter tire that provides a safe and comfortably quiet ride through snow and ice. Hankook is known for providing good quality tires for cheap – and these winter passenger tires are no exception. The aggressive tread pattern delivers superior driving capabilities for sports cars and touring sedans.
The Winter I*cept IZ features:
- Silica compounds and advanced internal construction for optimized road grip.
- Long-lasting tread life
- Load index: 82 – 99
You can purchase the Hankook Winter I*cept IZ W606 starting at $40.24 per tire.
The Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 winter low cost tires are designed for safe driving on even the most dangerous winter road conditions. Bridgestone is a highly trusted brand that produces top winter passenger tires. The Blizzak WS70 features the cutting-edge tire technology innovation for a safe, comfortable ride and optimal handling on winter roads.
The Blizzak WS70 features:
- Technical rubber compound for improved grip in cold temperatures
- High fuel efficiency and even tread wear
- Load index: 88 – 99
The Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 starts at $41.46 per tire.
The Federal Himalaya WS2 passenger tire is rated for safe driving on harsh icy or snow-covered roads. This winter tire ensures a quiet, comfortable ride thanks to its innovative design. The intersecting grooves on this tire provide added stability, traction, and better handling – along with improved grip on icy roads due to its specialized rubber compounds.
This model includes the following features:
- Multiple pitch design for precise steering
- V-shaped grooves for even tread wear and added durability
- Angled grooves and wide center rib to prevent hydroplaning by dispersing slush, snow, and water
- Load index: 88 – 102
The Federal Himalaya WS2 is available from $43.55 per tire.
The Nexen Winguard Winspike is a top-rated winter passenger tire designed for excellent traction and handling on icy and snowy roads. This model is made to last you for many winters to come, thanks to its reinforced sipes – which increase the tread life and improve grip.
This model features:
- High-density tread design for improved handling and braking
- Directional tread pattern for handling quick turns
- Wide grooves to prevent hydroplaning.
- Speed rating: T, Q, R
- Load index: 89 – 123/120
You can buy the Nexen Winguard Winspike for as low as $76.46 per tire.
Choosing the right passenger tire can make a noticeable difference in your driving experience. Here at Giga, we are proud to offer some of the best quality cheap tires with all of the features you are looking for to ensure a safe, comfortable ride.
Please reach out to our knowledgeable staff if you have any questions regarding passenger tires. Our team is here to help you find the exact model you need to fit your vehicle and budget.